Saturday, September 19, 2009

Can you feel the pinch


Up until recently I really have not been affected by the worsening economy. And being here in SLO you would have no idea.. there are still just as many people as ever shopping and going downtown and spending $$$ but Cal Poly is definitely feeling it. The professors have all been furloughed but ask the maintain their normal schedule, she I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. I believe it is something like one day either a week or month that they can cancel class and each professor can choose what works the best for them. They can take all the time off in one chunk or they can randomly cancel some classes.

What's really hit me the most is the amount of BMED classes that have been canceled. I was having a hard time being able to get a full shcedule because they kept canceling classes! For some reason the classes haven't been filling up. Usually I am fighting for my classes and they are hard to get into and for some reason this quarter a lot of them only have five people. The professors are having a hard time figuring out why this is but still have no choice but to cancel them. They've sent out many emails warning us that many of these classes will not be offered again throughout the year which could make it much more difficult to fit all my classes in. But I've found a cell biology class that I am going to take in place of one of my BMED classes that should be very helpful in my research. So I guess it all works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts!