Thursday, February 25, 2010

Researching Away

Today I finally sent in my top labs I want to do my research in for the next nine months.  I had a surprisingly hard time narrowing it down.  There are so many great opportunities, but it is no longer in my hands.  It's kind of nice having my professors make the final decision.  I ended up putting UCSD researching diabetes at the top of my list.  I had a really hard time because I liked the mentor at UCSD and Stanford so much!  And with a name like Stanford, how can I turn it down?  But apparently UCSD has one of the top bioegineering programs.  And at this point I am still unsure if I want to continue on the get my PhD.  Another consideration is that everyone else (most everyone) in the CIRM program will end up somewhere in San Diego, because Stanford is only taking 1-2 interns.  Those wanting to go to UCSD are thinking of all renting a big house and living together, which would be a lot of fun... I guess I will wait to see how it all works out!  It should be about two weeks until we get preliminary matching and then from there I think I have to go on a couple of interviews... 

Some fluorescent images from a primary literature article of recent diabetes research.

On another note, today one of my classes went on a field trip to a radiation oncology site.  It was pretty neat to see all of the technology that they have.  And since I did well on my midterm I got to be a volunteer : )  They made me a mask that they would use to treat a brain tumor.  It helps to hold the head in place and make sure it is in the same place each day.  They also put marking on the outside of the mask to align the lasers in the correct position.  It was pretty neat.


All in all, it was a pretty good day!

1 comment:

  1. So cool Kate! Wherever you end up I know you will excel because you are so brilliant. UCSD or Stanford will be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts!